Welcome to Year 1
Croeso i Blwyddyn 1
Class 3 Team – Mrs J Williams, (class teacher), Mrs S Doull (teaching assistant)
Class 4 Team – Mrs Rogers (teacher) Mrs Roderick (teaching assistant)
We are thoroughly enjoying our first term in Year 1!
We have been busy exploring creatures from under the sea through our topic
‘The Big Blue‘
We have read and enjoyed these books. Perhaps you can borrow them from the library!
How can you help at home?
There are lots of things you can do to help your child practise their Maths and Literacy skills at home:-
- Counting on and back in 5’s and 10’s
- Counting forwards and backwards 0-20
- Reciting number bonds to 10 (friends of ten)
- Learning simple addition facts (Learn its) +2 +3
- Time – o’clock and half past
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR THE ‘FRIENDS OF TEN’ SONG – The children love it!
- Correct letter formation, letters sitting on the line, using ascending and descending letters consistently
- Key word spelling practice (10 key words in each set)
- Read regularly – listen to your child read their school reading book & read a range of stories and books to your child
- Use capital letters and full stops when writing a sentence
Book bags should be brought back to school every Thursday. Your child will be issued with a new book every Friday. Try to read with your child as often as possible during the week to practice the reading skills they have been taught in school.
PE kits (dark shorts/white t-shirt) can be brought into school every Monday and can be left on your child’s peg for the week or half term.