Headteacher Update 8th January 2021
We hope this letter finds you all safe and well.
As you may well already know there has been an announcement today from the First Minister that all schools in Wales will continue with home based learning until Friday January 29th in the first instance where the decision will be reviewed.
We would like to update you on our school based provision and home learning.
School Based Provision
School Based Provision for key workers and some other groups of children is now in place. Places are allocated following an application via email. We need to know:
Any other relevant information that is appropriate:
These details must be emailed to [email protected]
The allocation of places will prioritise those parents in the NHS, blue light services, school staff and social care in accordance with capacity and staffing levels available in school. It is critical that any support offered in school is only appropriate when all other avenues of safe care have been exhausted. All applications will receive a response.
As part of our school review and further guidance from Welsh Government and Cardiff Local Authority staff have been planning and preparing for the extended distance learning provision for pupils across school.
There are some important points we would like to share:
- The Year Group learning plan for the week ahead will be shared via the usual platforms every Monday. It will look a little different to previously as it now includes recorded teacher input and weekly Google Meet sessions in many year groups. The details vary across each year group to ensure it is age appropriate.
- There is an expectation for all children to engage with the on-line learning provided, communicate with school and ‘turn in’ work as required.
- Where possible children should complete the work on the day it is set.
- Children will receive regular feedback on their work, including where improvements are needed. The expectation is for the children to work at the standard of which their teachers know they are capable.
- Teachers will be available and respond to children’s work or parent/ carer queries via their email during school working hours.
- There will not be live teaching sessions at this time as we believe this places additional pressure on our families being able to facilitate learning at a particular time. It can also be extremely time consuming to ensure that all members of the group are able to see and hear content. Instead we are offering a range of learning opportunities which families can access at a time convenient to them to ensure that as many pupils as possible are able to engage in a meaningful way.
- There is a reliance on digital devices being available to the children at home during the school day, particularly in KS2. If there are any difficulties accessing devices or connectivity please contact school.
For on-going IT Support for our children, including passwords needed to access Google Classroom please contact your child’s class teacher in the first instance or contact school: 029 20791345 and we will do all we can to assist you.
We fully appreciate the difficulties and challenges that home learning can sometimes bring. Whilst the expectations are clear for all children to engage in the work set, we will do all we can, in both the nature of work provided and the response to the queries or concerns you have, to make it a positive experience for all the children. We want all children to be confident and able to access what is provided and hopefully have some enjoyment along the way!
Stay safe and well!
Our very best wishes,
Miss D E Williams Mr D Baker
Headteacher Chair of Governors