Headteacher Update Thursday 11th February 2021
Dear Parents and Carers,
In line with Welsh Government guidance, our learners from Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will be able to return to school from Tuesday 23rd February onwards.
Outside of school grounds and out of school hours it remains important that all staff, children and their families continue to stay at home as much as possible and limit their contact with others, ensuring that national prevention measures are followed. In her recent message to parents and carers the Education Minister reinforced the need to avoid “play dates, birthday parties with members outside the immediate family and no sleepovers for the time being”. In order to protect our whole school community, it is vital that we all continue to follow this guidance.
Welsh Government will be looking very carefully at the number of Covid positive cases in our community once schools start to re-open. If rates remain low then they will be keen to get our older children back into school in the coming weeks. We would love to have all our children from Years 3 to 6 back in school as well so please continue to do everything you can to minimise transmission risks and hopefully this can happen sooner rather than later.
I appreciate it has been a tough few weeks trying to juggle learning and working from home. I would like to thank you for all your hard work in supporting the children to continue to learn at home and also for the appreciation you have shown to the staff during this time. It has made a tough job all the easier knowing that we have your on-going support.
We have been advised that where possible pupils only attend one setting rather than several. You need to advise us of any other settings that your child is attending for them to liaise with us.
We are now able to share our plan and organisation for school starting after half term.
There are separate arrangements for our children in Foundation Phase, those continuing home-school learning in KS2 and those KS2 pupils who attend School Based Provision.
Details as follows:
School Based Provision for all Foundation Phase pupils will end Friday 12th February.
Foundation Phase pupils will start on a phased return from Tuesday 23rd February.
Families are reminded that under no circumstances should learners attend school if they:
- feel unwell, have any of the three identified COVID-19 symptoms (a new continuous cough, a high temperature or loss of taste and/or smell) or they have tested positive to COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- live in a household with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19 or has tested positive to COVID-19 in the past 14 days
In this initial period of return to schools for 3-7 year olds it is expected that any pupil who is unwell prior to attending school for any reason should remain at home. This is preferable to coming to school to see if they improve.
Schools are required to keep all bubbles as small as practicably possible. Our bubbles will be organised in year groups i.e. Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
Provision for home learning will stop once all children are back at school full time.
- Tuesday 23rd and Wednesday 24th only the new children who were due to start in January 2021 (and were not able to come for a visit) will attend for “Stay and Play”sessions, each pupil accompanied by 1 adult family member. This will give our new Nursery children a chance to get to know the staff and settle into the environment. All parents/ carers will receive individual times shortly.
- Thursday 25th and Friday 26th the existing Nursery children will return.
- New session times are:
9.20-11.20am for morning nursery
12.30-2.30pm – for afternoon nursery
- New entrance & exit for Nursery pupils. See attached map.
The entrance gate is the main school entrance off Wentloog Rd and no longer the gate used previously, as this is now for Reception families only. Families need to walk along the path following the yellow hearts. Take the gate to the right and follow the path down the slope towards the outside area of the Nursery. The children will enter and exit from the Nursery outdoor play area door. Families then need to follow the path back to the main gate.
Don’t worry there will be staff to direct you!
For our new families joining us, Mrs Proctor will be in touch to share the dates and times for your ‘Stay and Play’ sessions on the 23rd and 24th February. You will also receive information relating to your child starting nursery on a staggered basis the week beginning March 1st.
- Week beginning 22.2.21:
Little Pumpkins (Miss Baldwin’s class) will attend full days on Tuesday 23rd and Wednesday 24th only.
Willows (Mrs. McNally’s class) will attend full days on Thursday 25th and Friday 26th only.
- All Reception children will return full time from Monday 1st March.
- Reception use the Early Years Drive as follows:
Little Pumpkins: Right hand side of the drive
Willows: Left hand side of the drive
- All doors open from 8.45 am until 9.15am
- End of the day for Reception is 2:45 pm.
- Cherries and Apples will return to school full time from Tuesday 23rd.
- Session times: 8:45 pm – 2:50 pm
- Drop off and pick up arrangements remain as they were previously.
- Hollies and Little Acorns will return to school from Tuesday 23rd.
- Session times: 8:45 am – 3:00 pm
- Drop off and pick up arrangements remain as they were previously.
We will be flexible in relation to pick ups of siblings with different timings wherever possible. We will work together to resolve any issues. Please be in touch with school with any queries.
School will continue to have procedures in place to keep the whole school community safe:
- School doors will be open from 8:45 am – 9:15 am to ensure we have a “drop off and go” policy.
- 2 m distance between adults on the school site and outside the school gates must be followed
- Face coverings are required to be worn by all adults on school site at all times.
- 1 adult to pick up and drop off, we must keep adult numbers on site to a minimum.
- If your child is unwell with any of the symptoms you must keep them at home
- Please keep to the session times as much as possible to avoid queues.
- One way system remains in place.
All FP children will need the following:
- School uniform to be worn
- Water bottle
- Healthy fruit snack for Reception to Year 2 pupils
- Packed lunch, no catering provision until further notice
- Free School Meal vouchers will continue
- Layers as needed as classrooms continue to be ventilated
- Warm coat
All children’s belongings need to be clearly labelled with your child’s name
If you have a device on loan from school please return the device as soon as the children return to school. The devices are needed for use in class.
Key Stage 2 (Years 3-6)
- Existing arrangements for home-school learning for all KS2 pupils will resume after half-term, Monday February 22nd
- For any queries please email your child’s class teacher in the first instance
- We appreciate that for some families KS2 children may need to accompany the adult for FP drop off and pick up. If there is no alternative to this we do ask that they stay next to the adult at all times whilst on school site.
School Hub (School Based Provision)
School Hub for all Foundation Phase pupils will end Friday February 12th.
There is no Hub during half term.
School Based Provision will continue to be based in the main hall for KS2 pupils who currently attend. We have a limited capacity based on space and staff availability that adheres to the agreed Health and Safety Risk Assessment.
Changes or reminders for those attending are as follows:
- Children need to access and leave via the Junior building (Y5 & Y6 door). There will be staff on site to direct you.
- Snacks need to be fruit.
- Packed lunch and water bottles are needed.
We are looking forward to seeing our youngest pupils return and continue to see the fabulous home school learning in KS2. Half term is the week beginning Monday 15th February, there won’t be any home school learning provision this week.
We hope you do get the chance to enjoy the fresh air, perhaps a walk or a chance to run about in the park. Whatever you do please stay safe and continue to follow the rules.
Miss D E Williams
See additional post for School Map